FOCARS (Foundation Course for Agricultural Research Services)
The FOCARS is designed for the newly recruited entry-level scientists to the Agricultural Research Service of the ICAR. The course aims at providing exposure to the trainees on the concepts and principles of project management with special emphasis on project formulation and implementation. It also includes capsules in related areas on human resources development, and information and communication management.
- To apprise the scientist trainees about agricultural scenario, and the agricultural research, education and development systems in the country.
- To sensitize the scientist trainees about the global agricultural scenario and its implications to Indian agriculture.
- To stimulate critical thinking and multidisciplinary approach to agricultural research.
- To expose the scientist trainees to modern concepts of agricultural research project formulation, management methods and processes and promote competency.
- To develop knowledge and skills in scientific communication.
- To understand modern concepts and techniques of information management and use of information technology to enhance scientific input in agricultural research.
- To enable the scientist trainees to understand their behavior and style of work, and its implications in research organization, with special emphasis on personality development, inter-personal relationship, team work, dynamics of human motivation, and organizational behavior.
- To expose the scientist trainees to the socioeconomic milieu of rural society in general, and farming community in particular, and to develop empathy for appropriate technology generation and farmers and appreciation of the need to innovate technology diffusion and adoption.